Third Age Barrie has enabled automatic closed captioning (CC: Live Transcript) for those audience members who find closed captioning helpful. Closed Captioning is a transcript of what is being said, visible on the bottom of your screen. This document will help you to turn closed captioning on or off your computer (whether it is a Mac or PC), or your iPad.
To Turn Closed Captioning OFF on your Computer
- Go to the bottom of your computer screen, and right click on the ‘CC: Live Transcript’ tab. Then right click on ‘Hide Subtitle’ to remove closed captions.
To Turn Closed Captioning ON your Computer
If the closed captioning is not showing (it may show automatically because Third Age Barrie has turned it on), find the CC: Live Transcript tab on the bottom of your screen.
- Right click on ‘CC: Live Transcript’
- Right click on ‘Show Subtitle’
- You can move the closed captions to another part of your screen by placing your cursor on the ‘subtitles box’ and dragging the box wherever you want it to go.
- You can also change the size of the closed captioning:
- Click on CC: Live Transcript at the bottom of your screen to bring up the options
- click on ‘subtitle settings’ and a pop-up screen will appear
- On the top of the screen, go to Closed Captioning, and choose ‘Font Size’; change between small, medium and large by sliding along the scale
- Close the pop-up screen to return to the Zoom window.
Closed Captioning on Zoom for iPads
Closed captioning on Zoom is a new feature and does not yet work the same way on iPads as it does on computers. You must set closed captioning on or off prior to the webinar; the settings will remain until you change them.
To Turn Closed captioning on or off:
- In your Zoom window, choose ‘Settings’ (bottom left of your screen), then ‘Meetings’
- Scroll down and click on ‘Closed Captioning’
- To turn Closed Captioning on, toggle the button so that it turns green
- To turn Closed Captioning off, toggle the green button to off
- On an iPad, the size and location of the closed captioning cannot be changed (at this time)
Note: Zoom is continually upgrading, so be sure to download the latest version by going to your Zoom profile (top right corner), click on ‘Check for Updates’, and click on ‘update’. Many thanks to Thornhill LLL